Friday, March 4, 2011

Thumb vs. Binky

My Little Guy has found his thumb. I'm not sure whether to be happy or upset about this one. In the short run, it is nice when he finds it when upset and can self-soothe at the tender age of two months. On the other hand, thumbs are a HARD habit to break later on. With the binky, you can just make them disappear, deal with a couple of rough naps and bedtimes, and move on. With a thumb, there is no way to make it disappear (not legitimately) so you have to rely on your child's willingness and ability to break their own habit. A habit, that usually by the time they realize it should be broken, has had several years to ingrain itself into their everyday life.

I was an avid thumb sucker for FAR too long - much to my mother's and dentist's chagrin. I know first hand how hard a habit that can be. So, do I keep fighting my Little Guy's tendency by trying to push the binky? Or do I let go and go with the flow?

For now, I think I am going to ignore the future battle this could potentially turn into. It may never come, after all. For now, I am going to ooh and aah over how incredibly adorable it is to see my Little Guy with his tiny little thumb in his mouth. I'll deal with the rest later :)

No comments: